Autism Training and Coaching for Paraeducators
Training and coaching for paraeducators is available upon request to school districts and EI/ECSE programs in our region. Support emphasizes building capacity to work effectively with and better understand learners with autism - as well as how to implement evidence based practices with fidelity. Please use the form linked below to request support, or email Brad Hendershott.
What services are available?
- Regionwide training series for para-educators, offered in both face-to-face and web-based formats
- Customized professional development for groups of paraeducators at the request of individual school districts
- On-site training and coaching to develop the skills and knowledge of individual paraeducators or classroom teams
What skills are addressed when training and coaching paraeducators?
- Antecedence-based strategies
- Structured teaching, environmental supports, and work systems
- Visual schedules and creating visual support
- Prompting and increading independence
- Behavior prevention and management
- Functional routines
- Data collection
- Small group instruction
- Function communication (PECS)
- Supporting social engagement
- Social narratives
- Video modeling
- Assistance with development of supports
- iPad and use of various apps
- Implementation of classroom curriculum (STAR)
Who can request these services?
- District autism specialists and consultants, administrators, and TOSA’s may directly request these services. If you are a building teacher, service provider, or para-educator interested in these services, please contact your district autism specialist/consultant or special education administrator.
- Our ASD Paraeducator Trainer will work in collaboration with a designated district contact, and provide periodic updates.
Our ASD paraeducator training emphasizes building capacity; providing paraeducators in schools and classrooms with the skills, knowledge, and confidence to effectively work with students with autism spectrum disorder.
Return to the main Autism Services page.